"Strong Women Rolling For A Strong Community"
Join us at The Distillery Tavern for a kick-ass "After Party" after every Home
AND, be Sure To Visit Our
Page To Read About ALL Of Our Groovy Sponsors!!
Check us out on MySpace and FaceBook and Twitter for pics, videos and other way-cool Bomber stuff!...
Click to subscribe to
THE RED WIRE
The Bradentucky Bombers FREE Email Newsletter!
JOIN THE BOMBERS:
So, You Think You Want To Be A Bradentucky Bomber, huh?
That makes you a "Wanna-Be." What do you do next?
- Contact Us:
- OK, the first thing you have to do is send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll respond right away to let you know the exact date and times of our next Open Recruitment date. Currently, we have Open Recruitment quarterly, four times a year, in January, April, July and October. On your first day, you'll have an orientation session during which we'll fill you in on the "ins and outs" of our league. Then, after orientation, you'll get to have your first practice!!
- Attend a Practice:
- If you just cannot wait until Open Recruit night to check us out, you can come out to a practice session and watch. We have practice sessions two or three days and/or evenings a week, and you're always welcome to come by, so drop us a line at: email@example.com, to find out the latest days and times.
- Participate in Your First Practice:
- If you have quad skates and any safety gear (wrist guards, knee and elbow pads, helmet, mouthguard, etc.), then bring 'em. Or, if not, you can rent skates inexpensively just to try it out. We also may have some extra used gear that you can borrow the first time you skate with us (with the exception of mouth guards, obviously — yuck!). In any case, for safety reasons, you won't be doing any full-contact drills your first time out, so a mouthguard won't be required then, anyway.
OK, So, You've Come To A Practice And Decided You Are Destined To Be A Bomber...
Practice, Practice, Practice... And Keep Your Butt Down:
That makes you a "Bomber Betty." So, now what?
- Buy Some Skates and Gear:
- We can let you know the best places to get your skates and your gear. You cannot participate in contact drills without full gear - wrist guards, knee pads, elbow pads, a helmet, and a mouthguard – so get it. Or, if funds are tight, we may have some extra used gear that you can borrow the first couple of times you skate with us (with the exception of mouth guards, obviously — yuck!). But, ultimately, you're going to need to own your own skates and safety gear.
- Get to Know Our Derby Drill-Masters:
- Even though we look like pros (well, at least we think we do), we all remember what it was like to be a Betty. So, don't worry, you'll have a Bomber guiding you through your first practices.
- Get Used to Your Skates:
- Before joining the League, most of us hadn't skated in a couple of years (or, in some cases, a couple of decades). We suggest wearing your skates around the house or around your neighborhood (with outdoor wheels, of course), or come to an open skate session at Florida Wheels and get real comfy with them.
- You will be shown certain skills you must acquire before being assigned to a team. These will include things such as proper skate stance, knee drops, crossovers and, most importantly, how to fall safely. These basic skill requirements are for your safety, as well as the safety of all the other derby girls on the track.
The biggest challenge for Betties seems to be remembering to skate in proper stance, which means skating with your butt low to the ground, as if in a squat position. The lower you stay, the less likely you are to fall. So, if we you see you skating too upright, you'll hear us yell, “Get your butts down, ladies!!”
Pay Your Weekly Dues:
- Betties pay $10 per week. Betties must attend at least 4 practices before being considered for Bomber status. Then, once you graduate to Bomber status, the dues are $30 per month.
Graduate to Full-Fledged Bomber Status:
- Hooray! Once you attend the required number of Betty practices (4), you'll be an official Bradentucky Bomber! And there ain't nothin' better than that! But, you still have a Skills Test to pass, and some other things to learn, too, before being assigned to a team and given clearance to bout. This is for your own safety, and for the safety of the other derby girls on the track, too, so just keep practicing, you can do it!!
Bradentucky Bombers is SKATER-OWNED and SKATER-OPERATED|
©2006-, Bradentucky Bombers LLC., All Rights Reserved
ABOUT US |
CONTACT US |
DERBY HISTORY |
DERBY RULES |
JOIN US |
OUR SPONSORS |
OUR CHARITIES |
PAST EVENTS |
SPONSOR US |
THE TEAM |